Thursday Thirteen is a meme with one purpose: to get to know bloggers better. Thirteen secrets they’ve never shared before, Thirteen random things about themselves or their lives that give the reader a better idea of who they are.
This week I’m only letting a little bit of information about me slip out. This is because I am secretly weeping tears of sorrow because Sioned didn’t stop by to look at the blog entry that I dedicated entirely to her yesterday. Tears of sorrow. It’s nearly enough to crush a man’s spirit. Then I thought WWCYFD? So here I am blogging again.
- WWCYFD – In any difficult situation you should always ask yourself What Would Chow-Yun Fat Do? He’d look cool and probably kick someone’s butt but he’d do it in a wise way.
- TLA – If in doubt chuck a Three Letter Acronym into conversation.
- PEBKAC – An IT problem that is the fault of incompetent users. Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair. A typical fix for this is percussive maintenance.
- RTFM – Another IT favourite. Read The Fucking Manual. I’ve told everyone that it means Read The Fix Manual but secretly I smile inside whenever I say this to someone.
- DNA – deoxyribonucleic acid is amazing stuff. So simple yet it contains a total map of what it is to be a human being.
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions that are actually answers to questions that few people actually need to ask.
- GNU – GNU’s Not Unix. A joke in the naming of the free operating system. I think it’s really clever that the name is built into the acronym like that. It just shows how meaningless it really is.
- Laser – Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. I bet you thought it was a real word too.
- WWTD – What Would Thor Do? In The Order of the Stick Durkon asks what his deity would do in a difficult situation. The comic can be found here.
- ROTFLMAO – Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off. Not literally obviously. I rarely use this acronym but I do tend to get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever I see it in response to one of my comments.
- WSB – The name of the little company that my chums and I formed. The WSB nominally stood for Warblington School Boys but I secretly named it We Sell Brains. Officially it stands for Wireless (and Wired) Systems for Business.
- OK. Another non-word. The origins either come from US military term for Zero Dead (0 killed) meaning a successful mission or from the greek phrase “olla kalla” meaning all’s good.
- NIIOMTPLABOPARMBETZHELBETRABSBOMONIMONKONOTDTEKHSTROMONT (Нииомтплабопармбетзелбетрабсбомонимонконотдтехстромонт). The 56-letter initialism (54 in Cyrillic) is from the Concise Dictionary of Soviet Terminology and means “The laboratory for shuttering, reinforcement, concrete and ferroconcrete operations for composite-monolithic and monolithic constructions of the Department of the Technology of Building-assembly operations of the Scientific Research Institute of the Organization for building mechanization and technical aid of the Academy of Building and Architecture of the USSR.” I like it because it’s long.